Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sea Kayaking in Antarctica: Waves, whales, seals and bergy bits!

Thank you to everyone who took such amazing photos of the kayaking group.  It was a little difficult for us to take photos when we were trying to avoid icebergs, wind gusts and whales!
I love this photo!  The water is so glassy and perfect.  The kayaking group wore yellow suits that made us stand out.  Kayaking on the trip was an add-on that had to be pre-purchased before boarding and it was limited to 16 participants. We had 12 in our group on this trip and if you're considering going to Antarctica, I would say kayaking is a must!

I love this photo because it captures the size proportions and makes me think we were insane for kayaking near these animals!
The infamous Leopard Seal spectacular.

Vicky holding up her bergy bit!


I think I spotted something.


Sully & Jordan in Wilhelmina Bay after we had an incredible late afternoon paddling with whales.

This is one of the beach launches- I think we only did two beach launches on the trip.
Me holding up my bergy bit!

Look at my game face.

Someone caught me taking a selfie with the bergy bit!


I love this photo because we hit rough patch of water around the shore and had to learn how to back paddle into waves with the kayaks perpendicular to the waves to avoid rolling.  We thought it was a blast but our guides were clearly concerned!
Oh hey there seal!

A rather large marine mammal rolling up...



Towing the kayaks to launch after our visit to Neko Harbor.

Oh, no big deal, just an enormous whale.

A whale resting on the surface next to us.

Whale tail!









Peter & Jane paddling near an enormous ice wall.





No comments:

Post a Comment