Thursday, April 3, 2014

Did we get close to the animals?

I'm getting used to the questions people ask but am not getting better at my answers. I should just respond with pictures. Once people realize I'm not making some clever joke about the cold weather in NYC and realize yes, I went to Antarctica, they are curious to know why and what I was doing there. Did you get close to the animals? The answer is that the animals got close to us and sometimes without our knowledge. On day one I was lucky enough to capture some footage of a seal gliding under my kayak via the GoPro. Below is a screen shot from that footage.

In some of the videos I posted you can see underwater footage.  The underwater footage is from the trip and was filmed by both passengers and staff using the GoPro attached to a 4-6 foot pole submerged under water.  We were shocked to see these next photos capturing a curious seal poking our kayaks without our knowledge.

The seal investigated and poked a few of our kayaks from below.  

The seal was not quite sure what to make of these yellow objects!


The seal poking a kayak; in the video you can see slight movement which I'm guessing we thought was from the water or wind at the time.

The seal continued to examine and poke the kayaks from below!


GoPro is also how we captured the underwater scenes of the seal killing the penguin.  Check out the video if you're not sensitive to blood.
antarctica 2014
The leopard seal playing with his recently killed penguin.  We learned in seal class that this is typical behavior.  I'll post more on seals at a later date; we were fortunate to have both a whale and seal expert on board to give lectures and comment on what we witnessed during our excursions.


No comments:

Post a Comment