Saturday, April 5, 2014

If I had to pick my favorite excursion….


On March 21st, we had our continent landing at Neko Harbor.  This was by far my most memorable excursions and I'd love to post all the amazing photos I took in my fabulous yellow kayaking suit as I stepped foot on the continent of Antarctica. Sadly those photos are sitting at the bottom of Wilhelmina Bay with my Olympus that went overboard during our afternoon excursion that same day.  Fortunately I have GoPro footage and the photos take by some of my new and amazing friends from the trip.  Separately, one of these new friends loaned me her backup small camera to use for the remainder of the trip so my selfies with bergy bits could continue!  (More on the role of selfies on our trip later!) 

GoPro clip of the continent landing:

 For those of us that chose to kayak this morning, we only had about twenty minutes on the continent before we left to launch.  Those who stayed behind were treated to an amazing hike.  I'm so thankful that I chose to kayak this morning as I had a really incredible experience kayaking into some really remote and almost never visited inlets.
Gentoo Penguins marching across the beach at Neko Harbor on the most perfect morning. 

A closer look at the Gentoos marching along.  The one on the left looks like he needed a bath- they are often filthy from sliding around in their own feces! 

I love this photo captured by Vicky.  She chose to do the hike instead of kayaking at Neko Harbor that day and captured some great images like this one.  I love how on a clear day like this the black and white penguins stand out against the blue water.  I also love that our ship is in the background.  

Another shot of the marching Gentoos.
A few more photos from our shared collection:
Close up of one of the friendly Gentoos.

I love this picture because it comes closer to capturing the amazing colors in the sky that day.  Also that strange looking guy in the red is Joe, another new friend who happens to be an actual pro photographer and scotch drinker.  More on all of the amazing people I met in a later post though...

Another Gentoo.  They're so adorable in spite of their stench.

GoPro clips of the friendly Gentoos in Neko Harbor:


  
A lonely Gentoo heading in the opposite direction.


We left the continent and launched our kayaks far away from the landing site.  We paddled through some of the most beautiful and untouched inlets.  I was completely awestruck by the size of the glacier walls and mountains surrounding me that day and I discovered how mesmerizing ice can be.  The really old ice is easily recognizable by it's clear and dimpled appearance.  I remember taking tons of selfies with ancient bergy bits- it really would be awesome if someone found my camera in 20 years or so and discovered all my photos of which half were selfies with various icebergs.

antarctica 2014
Calm and reflective water and enormous walls of ice surrounded us.

antarctica 2014
We felt so tiny next to these walls of ice.  The deep blue crevasses were incredible.  

antarctica 2014
Heading straight through some dense brash ice.


No comments:

Post a Comment