Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Packing for Antarctica: Part 3 (Cameras & Electronics)

Cameras

Meet my new GoPro! 
 
The incredibly tiny GoPro

There were two reasons I decided to purchase the GoPro: 1) I was inspired by some of the amazing clips I've seen from past voyages and 2) I want to make sure I'm spending more time 'in the moment' than worrying about capturing it.  The GoPro will be attached to either my head or my kayak during excursions.  I plan to have video recording with time lapse photo capture on as well so that stills are taken in intervals.  Check out one of my favorite GoPro videos from someone else's trip to Antarctica.



 
 


GoPro Hero3+ edition comes with many accessories including the waterproof housing
I tested the GoPro while kayaking in Puerto Rico and found the battery life to be fairly short even without the LCD screen (purchased separately) and with WiFi turned off.  Battery life ranged between 45 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes depending on settings and number of times powered on and off.  Since excursions are likely to range from 2-3 hours I purchased Wasabi backup batteries.  Here is a list of all accessories I purchased:
  • Headstrap mount
  • Surfboard/Extra strength adhesive mounts (I'm returning these since I will not be using them to secure GoPro to the kayak as planned)
  • Teathered lanyard (in case I need to insure the GoPro is attached to something- not sure if i will need this so I may end up returning)
  • Floaty backdoor (acts as a life vest for the camera in case it falls into the water)
  • Antifog inserts (I wish I had these in Puerto Rico- fog became a major problem)
  • Wall charger (GoPro comes with a USB charger only)
  • LCD Touch Bacpac screen (GoPro does not have a viewfinder or screen so I found this very helpful when learning how to use GoPro and for taking stills.)
  • Jaws Clamp Mount (in case i want to attach GoPro to the kayak or other surface instead of using the headstrap mount.)
  • Micro SD cards (3 Lexar High Performance microSDXC 64gb)
After some debate, I have decided that I will bring my Nikon d3100 but will leave it on the ship.  There will be some great photo opportunities from the deck of the ship as we navigate through the peninsula.  I purchased a polarizing lens filter as suggested to help minimize issues from light reflecting in snow and ice.  I also purchased a small tripod that I hope to use to capture some of the landscape and possibly stars at longer exposures when on board and in Argentina. 

Lastly, I'm taking a small waterproof point and shoot with me so I can take some stills when we have landings in either the kayak or zodiac.  GoPro does not have optical zoom and I'd like to have the option of getting some close ups with penguins!  I chose the Olympus TG-2 based on the reviews from CNET; it seems to be the best option to take high quality photos quickly.   I also purchased a class 10 64gb SDCX memory card.  I chose the card based on my interpretation of the Olympus website; I hope I interpreted correctly!
Olympus TG-2 is waterproof and shockproof. 

Phone(s), Laptop & Other Electronics
Here is a list of a few other things I'm bringing with me:
  • External hard drive to transfer photos/videos to after using up space on memory cards.
  • My MacBook Air so that I can keep track of my journey, write about it, and to transfer photos and video to.
  • iPhone with LifeProof waterproof case
  • European outlet converter
  • Mini outlet power strip so I can charge more than one device at a time if needed. (I read that outlets are at a premium)
  • Sea to Summit waterproof plastic pouches to put backup cards and batteries in during excursions.
  • SealLine dry bag to use inside of my backpack during the overnight camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment