Sunday, March 9, 2014

Packing for Antarctica: Part 1

It's not as cold in the Antarctic peninsula as one would think.  It's been colder here in NYC most of the winter.  Packing the right clothes for Antarctica has more to do with layers that will keep provide warmth during the 2-3 hour excursions.  I think it's more about the length of time we will be outside than the actual conditions.  From what I've read, excursions are put on hold during extreme wind and snow storms that can creep up quickly in the peninsula.  I started by packing everything listed below except the items I will wear to travel including my thickest fleece and my Marmot shell rain jacket.  Here is what my suitcase looks like so far- not bad right? I'm packing in ONE carry on plus ONE backpack- this is the lightest amount of packing I've ever attempted, including weekend trips!
Almost all packed and there is still a ton of room left! 

The advice I've received from MT Sobek and online has been quite simple: "Pack like you're packing for a ski trip".  Fine- except that I don't ski and didn't own any ski clothes.  In fact, the only true 'winter gear' item I own is my beloved Canada Goose parka, which I'm not even bringing with me.  I knew the basics from information sent to me by MT Sobek and One Ocean Expeditions, but I had no idea how to navigate through brands and sizes.  Fortunately my trip coincides with the end of ski season so I've capitalized on major sales.  My final selections were a result of trial and error thanks to great shipping/return policies of Amazon and Backcountry.  I must have purchased and returned two or three variations of every item before settling on the following:

I packed for efficiency, so if an item did not serve a dual purpose I did not pack it.  For example, I'm not bringing regular sweaters or sweatshirts since they would not be of use as a layering piece during excursions.

Base Layer Tops
I chose more tops than likely needed, but purchased two of the black mid weight turtleneck versions because they will double as my casual clothes when on board and when in Ushuaia.  I saved space by avoiding packing an additional set of clothes for non-athletic activities. 

  • 2 SmartWool mid weight turtlenecks.
  • 2 SmartWool mid weight high neck 1/4 zips  (see below for photos from Backcountry.com, where I purchased the majority of my gear)
Smartwool Mid Weight Turtleneck Base Layers (Left in quarter zip, right no zip)
I chose SmartWool based on availability and because I preferred the style/cut options over other brands in the mid weight category.  I'll make a note to discuss what I decided not to keep and why at some point.  (For example, I tried a different brand that offered side zip turtlenecks but found the zipper to be uncomfortable.)  I'll discuss sizing and fit in a later post, but found SmartWool tops to fit very well.  Had I not planned to layer, a size S or M would do, but I chose a L in the turtlenecks to layer them over my smaller micro layers and also to allow for better range of movement when kayaking.
  • 1 Minus33 mid weight crew.  
Minus33 is a less expensive brand of merino base layers that I found via Amazon and the ratings indicate that quality won't be an issue. Minus33 fits a little differently than the other brands in that they don't seem to be cut specifically for women.  In general I had a difficult time with sizing because I i have broad shoulders and arms but have a very narrow waist.  
  • 1SmartWool micro weight crew to wear as an extra layer or just as a shirt on board



Smartwool Patterned Quarter Zip Mid Weight and Black Micro Weight Crew 

Note on Sizing: I purchased the sizes that would allow me to double up.  My turtleneck and zip mid weight tops can all fit my light and micro weight tops underneath.  I bought one mid weight bottom in a size that fits snugly  and one that fits slightly loose so I can layer as needed.  The micro weight fits under the larger mid weight or can be worn alone for warmer days.

Base Layer Bottoms
  • 1 SmartWool mid weight pattern bottom that I found on sale at Athleta.com  and purchased to fit snugly so that I have the option of wearing them alone or under another pair.
  • 1 Minus33 mid weight bottoms that fit a little more loosely and have more give so that I can wear them alone or over one of my other bottoms. 
  • 1 IceBreaker Pace 200 bottoms.  These are a lighter weight merino that can be worn under regular pants but I plan to layer them with my mid weight bottoms.

IceBreaker Pace 200 bottoms (left) and SmartWool mid weight patterned bottoms (right)
Note on Sizing: I had a difficult time with finding the right fit with all brands of merino base layer bottoms.  I've read a lot of reviews and agree that they are not cut for women with a more athletic build; this is rather ironic considering their purpose.  I could fit into a size S SmartWool mid weight has less stretch and felt too stiff in the thigh area so I sized up to M.  In Minus33 I purchased M and may actually purchase an additional pair in S since they are so soft and have a lot of give.  The IceBreaker bottoms are thin enough to wear under jeans and regular clothes, but as with all the bottoms, I found them to be very loose in the waist area.  A size S would have been ideal but they had sold out.

Hats, Gaiters & Ear Protection
  • 1 light weight merino beanie: I chose the SmartWool reversible training beanie that is lightweight but still covers my ears.  Plus, how could i say no to pink & grey?
  • 1 light weight merino head band: I chose the Buff brand UV Headband in Can Can Orange and plan to layer this over my hat as added ear protection
  • 1 Buff neck gaiter: The original "Buff" can be used as a neck warmer or pulled up over the head and face as needed.  I thought this would be helpful if I encounter windy or snowy conditions while kayaking. (see more info on this neat convertible item here)
  • TBD: I am still contemplating bringing a warmer fleece headband for ear protection and I will likely bring my NorthFace fleece hat just in case.  The operator also provides neoprene beanies.
SmartWool Reversable Beanie, Buff Neck Gaiter, Buff Headband
Socks and Footwear
  • 3 pair SmartWool knee-high wool socks
  • 1 pair of Hot Chillies socks that I already owned 
  • 2 pair of Minus33 wool socks
  • 1 pair of Pajar Greenland boots that I already own and wear regularly in winter weather.  They have thick rubber soles and will be perfect to wear on board and while exploring Ushuaia.
  • 1 pair of sneakers for working out 
  • 10 pack of foot warmers
SmartWool "Reflections" socks purchased on sale from Athleta.com

My beloved Pajar Greenland Boots.  They are waterproof and exceptionally warm!
I purchased a 10 pack of foot warmers from Amazon and plan to wear them during excursions between my sock layers.

*Boots are provided to us as part of the severe weather gear so I only had to worry about footwear for on board and while in Ushuaia.

It's recommended to have several pairs of socks so that you can layer and have dry socks available at all times.  The SmartWool socks fit tightly and are designed to have some compression.  Wearing 2 of these compression socks would be uncomfortable and have a reverse effect.  From what I've read, wearing socks that are too tight can slow circulation and make you feel the cold more.  I purchased the 2 pairs of Minus33 wool socks from Amazon in men's size M and L to wear over my first layer of socks.  They arrive on Tuesday and I'm hoping they will fit over my SmartWools without adding compression.  

Gloves

  • 2 pair of SmartWool liner gloves that are warm enough to use alone when I take off my regular gloves to take photos.
  • 1 pair of Canada Goose Timber Mitts 
  • 1 pair SmartWool wristlet (I'll probably get more use out of these at home than in Antarctica, I love the idea of something to eliminate draft between your coat and gloves!)
  • 10 pack of hand warmers 

Canada Goose Men's Timber Mitts in size S fit perfectly plus they come with thick fleece liners and are completely waterproof!  Mittens are suggested as they keep you warmer than gloves with fingers.  I'm not sure how this will impact gripping the kayak paddle but I'd rather have warm hands above anything else!
SmartWool wristlets and liner gloves from Backcountry.com

Hand warmers purchased from Amazon to layer in my gloves for longer excursions.
Insulating Layers & Outer Layers

Almost all operators provide severe weather gear, so I did not have to purchase and bring any of the most expensive items that take up huge amounts of space.  Severe weather shell jackets and bib pants are provided for Zodiac excursions, and full dry suits are provided for kayaking excursions.  
  • 1 thinner quarter zip fleece
  • 1 thicker full zip fleece
Full zip Columbia fleece purchased on sale from Backcountry.  This will be my insulating layer for the colder days.
Other
  • Marmot Shell for traveling and for touring Ushuaia
  • Julbo Glacier Glasses (What are glacier glasses you ask? I'll explain!)
  • Marmot "Destination" Jacket that I scored for just $57 on Backcountry. (Normally it's $225)
    Julbo Polarized Glacier Glasses will keep my eyes safe from the dangerous UV rays resulting from snow blindness when kayaking through the glaciers. 
  • Merino underwear and sports bras

Wool underwear? Yes!  When layering, I've read that cotton and synthetics are not good options for any type of clothing.  I purchased the sports bras and underwear for the same reasons that wool base layers are a good option.

I'll cover other things like cameras and toiletries in Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment