Sunday, March 9, 2014

Packing for Antarctica: Part 2 (a little fun)

More on those glacier glasses, help me pick which boots, and my obsession with the polar plunge:

I love fashion so I couldn't help but have a little fun while packing.  Yesterday I also kicked off packing with some Argentinian wine since I'll be staying there for a few days during my journey.
Argentinian wine to kick off my weekend of packing!

Polarized sunglasses are a must when traveling to Antarctica.  I've read about some people who opted to bring ski goggles for harsher weather, but they seem too bulky to bring for daily use when kayaking. The snow and ice in Antarctica cause a tremendous amount of reflection, which is why snow blindness is listed as one of the primary dangers when traveling there.  I wanted a polarized lens with as much side coverage as possible so my eyes would be protected from all angles.  Julbo is apparently the brand for "glacier glasses" and after reviewing their selection I chose their "Explorer" with Camel lenses.  I was going to go with black as usual but ended up picking the white since they seem more fun.
Julbo Explorer Glacier Glasses in white
And why not have a little fund while packing- I couldn't resist taking some selfies in my hat and glasses!
Selfies with glacier glasses! I feel like a praying mantis of sorts.

I've had navy Pajar Greenland boots for several years and they've definitely started to show some wear.  Recently I found another pair in white on sale for $53 (regularly around $200), but I can't decide if I like them or if I want to stick with my original navy ones. What do you think?  Side note: they're 100% waterproof and I'm bringing these to wear around Ushuaia and while on board.
White & Navy Pajar Greenland Boots - which should I bring?

I am also bringing my bikini and flip flops along - why?  This is why:
Polar plunge in Antarctica.  I'm hoping my tour operator let's us do this!
And some of the serious stuff: medicine & toiletries:
I'm not packing very differently than I usually do, but I'm going to make sure I double check my list to insure that every single item makes its way into my bag.  While I'm sure some items will be available on board, I don't want to risk anything.

I suffer from allergies to a long list of foods, pollens, soaps, and ingredients in cosmetics.  Something as small as the fabric softener used for the ship's laundry could trigger a reaction.  Fortunately, I've never gone into full anaphylactic shock, so I'm bringing my usual arsenal of allergy remedies.  There is also a doctor on board in case of emergencies.

  • Benadryl
  • Cortizone Roll-On
  • Sudafed
And the usual travel-sized items:
  • Shampoo & conditioner
  • Facewace
  • Toothbrush & toothpaste
  • Mini woolite packs for hand washing any items (although there is full laundry service available on board)
Part 3 of packing will cover my electronics including my new GoPro camera!  

No comments:

Post a Comment