Friday, March 7, 2014

About the ship: Akademik Sergey Vavilov

History of the Ship
The Akademik Sergey Vavilov was built in 1988 in Rauma, Finland.  It was originally designed for Russian polar research operations.  The ship was named after Sergey Vavilov, a former Soviet physicist and former President of the USSR Academy of Sciences.  I absolutely love the fact that I'm traveling on a ship named after someone famous for work in quantum physics!

Ship Specs and What's On Board
One Ocean Expeditions, the ship operating company, has very detailed descriptions of the ship and it's specs here.  The ship is a Class 1A icebreaker- this just means that it has a strengthened hull, an ice-clearing shape and enough power to push through the ice.

Length: 117m
Breadth: 18.2m
Draft: 6m
Power: Twin engine, 5,000Kw diesel, twin propeller
Max Speed: 14.5 kts
Crew & Staff: 63
Passengers: 92

I obviously have a little reading to do in order to catch up on all the boat lingo. Fortunately I'll have about 15 hours of flight time to do some reading.

Fitness Room
There is also a very small fitness room that I'm planning to make use of during our 3 day stretch through the Drake Passage.  I don't want to lose all the hard work I've put in prepping for sea kayaking!  there are apparently a couple cardio machines and free weights - I'm still confused as to how free weights are safe on a boat going through such rough waters.

Spa & Polar Salt Water Plunge Pool
Apparently there is a 'spa' on board with a sauna and a plunge pool that can be filled with arctic salt water.  I'll be sure to post pictures of the facilities.  Side note: I'm hoping we have the opportunity to do the real 'polar plunge' and not just use the plunge pool.  I figure if I'm going to do this trip why not go all the way and do everything offered no matter how crazy it sounds.

Presentation Room & Library
The presentation room has enough seating for all passengers and will likely be where we are briefed each day and where we will have our special marine mammal classes.  There is also a library with polar reference books and room for small breakout sessions and classes.


The Layout




My Cabin
I'll be in a twin semi-private cabin with my roommate and we will share a bathroom with an adjoining double.  Our cabin will be located on deck 4.


A typical twin semi-private cabin on board.  Living in NYC has prepared me well for small spaces...I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment